Joyce Livingston (Author) & Friends

Friday, May 19, 2006

Heeeerrrreeeesssss Rebecca!

Many of you know, have met, or have seen Rebecca Germany, my Senior Editor at Barbour. This is Becky in her office at Barbour Publishing. It was my privilege, along with 11 other authors to visit Barbour a couple of years ago, and was I impressed! I realized a lot happened to my manuscript after I finished with it, but I had no idea how MUCH happened. The writing of a book is only a portion of what goes into the finished product. I don't envy Becky's job. She's a wonder! Yet, she smiles through it all. I highly respect her.

Hopefully, if you are published (or about to be), you have a good relationship with your editor. I've heard horror stories but we won't go there. Your editor is out to produce the best book possible. Sometimes, that requires many changes (revisions) in your manuscript and you'll labor over it long and hard (hopefully not grumblng), but when you get that finished book in your hands and read the improvements that have been made....that's when you have that *Ah ha!* moment. At least that's the way it happens for me. That's when I realize WHY I was asked to do those revisions/edits when maybe before....I didn't have a clue. I liked it the way it was! (Pride?)

Anyway, I thought you would like to see a picture of Rebecca in her office, since many who write for Heartsong and Barbour may have not had a chance to *see* her in her everyday habitat!

Do you have a great association with your editor?
If not. Why not? Food for thought.
Comment...we'd like to hear your experience.

Joyce Livingston, author
Latest book, THE WIDOWS' CLUB, in stores now.
www.joycelivingston.com

4 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Ane Mulligan said…

    No, but I'm longign to! LOL If there are any editors looking for a very compliant writer, here I am! :o)

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Ane Mulligan said…

    How embarrassing. My fingers couldn't even type longing correctly.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Camy Tang said…

    Hi Joyce! Cute picture of Rebecca!

    Thanks for putting me on your blogroll! That was sweet of you. Do you think you could change the link to my blogsite instead? It's http://camys-loft.blogspot.com/ If it's too much trouble, that's okay. I'll put you on my blogroll, too!

    Camy

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger Crystal said…

    Joyce, I had seen you had posted this on the blogging forum at ACFW (I just now connected there...ah, yes, slow...) and this site is awesome. Love the details on quilts and this photo of Becky Germany. I will be adding your blog as a link. Yes, I'm late, as today is Sept. 29, 2006. Love to read Heartsongs/Barbour books!
    Crystal Miller

     

Post a Comment

<< Home