Joyce Livingston (Author) & Friends

Friday, May 12, 2006

Musings on Mothering--in honor of Mother's Day

Last night, quite late, I was watching TBN. A panel of five mothers, probably all in their 30-40s, were discussing what it was to be a mother. I was impressed with everything they said, especially one point. They all agreed, even though their children got out of hand at times, and even though the mothers often times threw their hands up in the air out of frustration and a feeling of inadequacy as mother, when God picked them to mother these children, He picked them because He knew they were the perfect woman for the job. NO ONE could do it better! What a revelation!

Did you ever feel you didn't have what it takes to raise one of your children? Maybe the rebel of the family? I think we all feel that way at times....even if our kids are little angels! Ha! Is there really a child who is a little angel - - ALL the time?

As the mother of six, I've learned that my children are exactly alike - - yet completely different. Does that make sense? Probably not, but it is true. And if you have ever read or heard Dr. Kevin Lehman - - you know there are certain traits each child has because of their birth order - - their position in the family. Each of my children has a soft caring side. Each is mild-mannered. Each extremely responsible. They are all slow to anger (even when they were kids). Like to please. Great parents to their own children. Yet - - some are stronger and more able to cope that the others. Some are happy and upbeat all the time, taking things in stride without missing a beat, while others are more melancoly, more easily discouraged, not as quick to bounce back. That's what I mean by different.

The great thing is - - if you are a mother - - and you love the Lord - - you have been called to raise that child. Never fear - - God is near.

As we look forward to Mother's Day this Sunday, let us take a look at ourselves. Are we living up to the role we have been called to? Are we a godly example to our children? When we are old will they call us 'blessed'? And more importantly, when we stand by our Maker, will He say, "Well, done, thou good and faithful servant?

I don't know about you but I loved (with the amazing help of my husband, their father) raising my children. I loved every age, including the terrible twos and the tumultuous teens. Today, those kids are my best friends. What more could a mother ask?

Happy Mother's Day,

Joyce Livingston

2 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger Colleen Coble said…

    Oh that's so true, Joyce! My own kids are alike and yet different. LOL Mother's Day always makes me wish they were still small.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Very true, alike and yet different. I read alot of Christian romance books. Thanks for stopping by :) I'll be back soon. Happy Mother's Day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home