Joyce Livingston (Author) & Friends

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

OH, THE MESS AFTER A HOLIDAY!

IF A MAN'S HOME IS HIS CASTLE, SHOULDN'T HE HELP CLEAN IT?

This may be a good idea, but how do you enforce it?

On Saturday, 48 people came to my house to spend the day and share wonderful food (some I fixed, but mosty what they brought!). Yep, it was part of my family. My kids and their kids, and we even had another 10 who couldn't make it. WE ARE A BIG FAMILY and I LOVE IT! It was windy outside, but since I live on a lake, that wind didn't bother the kids. They spent most of the day in the water, coming out only long enough to eat, go to the bathroom, and track in sand from the beach. But within an hour after the last ones left yesterday, the place was cleaned up, the final dishes happily washing in the dishwasher, the beds all laden once again with clean sheets, and you couldn't even tell anyone had been there.

What really makes it nice is that everyone, even the little kids, pitch in and clean up before they leave. I'd like to take all the credit for raising them like that, but most of that credit goes to my precious husband. As many know, he passed away with a brain tumor 19 months ago, but his wonderful, sweet, godly, fatherly ways, and the training he gave our children, linger on, and will linger on, for many years to come. Our home was our castle. He built every stick of it himself, and he was right there to help clean up when needed. I no longer live in that home since I've moved to be nearer my children, but I still own it and one of my sons and his family are using it. (It's a cabin on another lake 100 miles from here).

So, my questions is...if you have a man in your life...does HE help clean up your castle?

Joyce Livingston, author
My latest book, THE WIDOWS' CLUB, is in bookstores now.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:56 PM, Blogger Jennifer Hudson Taylor said…

    Joyce,

    I'm sorry to hear about your husband's passing. I have a husband and we will celebrate our 13th year in July. He cooks and cleans more often and much better than I! The Lord really blessed me.

    Jennifer Hudson Taylor
    www.authorjenniferhudsontaylor.com
    http://jenniferswriting.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home