Joyce Livingston (Author) & Friends

Thursday, June 01, 2006

QUILT BLOCKS - - -


Don't you love old quilt blocks? This one is a real oldie! I love the way the person's name is embroidered across it, don't you?

For a number of years, I traveled the country, lecturing on quilting, doing programs, and teaching the art of quilting through workshops and classes. What an experience. There are no finer, more caring people than quilters.

Before I began lecturing (over about a six year period), I made and handquilted 18 quilts, most of them kingsized, and dozens of wallhangings. After that, I began to design, construct, and quilt clothing, mostly jackets. Those were my most popular classes and programs. I made 137 jackets! Yep, that's right. I became known as the jacket lady! The 137 jackets were divided into 2 separate programs that ran a little over an hour each, as I took ladies from the audience and had them model my jackets as I talked about the special features and techniques I'd used in making the jackets. I actually produced and sold a line of jacket patterns! What a great time we had. I quit doing that when my first Christian novel was published! But - - I still have all those quilts, and all those jackets, and may do it again sometime. Who knows?

Actually, quilting was the way I got into novel writing. I was asked to do an article for a magazine about quilting. After that, I sold many other magazine articles on a variety of subjects. Those published articles not only gave me some publishing credits, they also gave me to courage to try to sell my fiction work. So - - praise the Lord for quilting!

I'll be featuring a new quilt block on my blog each day. Come back and check them out daily!

Are you a quilter? Have you ever tried quilting? Is there a treasured quilt somewhere in your past? Let's hear about it. Leave a comment!

Joyce Livingston, author
My newest book, THE WIDOWS' CLUB, is in bookstores now.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Gina Holmes said…

    I made a quilt once and won a blue ribbon in the L.A. county fair. Wahoo!! I love quilts. My dh bought me a handmade Amish quilt and I love it!

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Gina Holmes said…

    That wasn't supposed to be Gina - it's Ane. I guess I'm signed in under her blogger name - LOL

    Ane Mulligan

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Dineen A. Miller said…

    Hi Joyce,
    I saw quilting over on the forums and had to check it out. Ironically, quilting is what got me into writing too. LOL! Small world. I have a wedding ring quilt I'm trying to finish this summer (hand quilting). I don't get to do much anymore. Writing keeps me too busy. ;-)

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Millie said…

    Hi Joyce,
    What a great quilt block! Thanks for the heads up on your website. I'll definitely check out your books!
    Millie

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger jmk said…

    Hi Joyce.
    Thanks for checking out my blog. Yours is quite interesting. I do like the "Lynette" block - very sweet. I look forward to seeing more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home